Monday, November 19, 2007

1995 Ornellaia, Tuscany, Italy

I think it’s my last bottle and so far this 1995 six-pack has never let me down. The nose is simply delicious; leather with evolved red fruit and raspberry perfume. It oozes like the rosemary bush and the breathtaking Tuscan landscape with blackcurrant and immensely intimate purity. Had this wine been served blind to me, I would easily have guessed Bordeaux left bank, but the herbs and warm Tuscan soil gives it away. The taste – ahhhrrrr – unfortunately it doesn’t live up to the nose, but definitely much better than the general dry 1995 Vintage. Back to the taste – juicy fruits on the first kisses and “she” is again beautiful and pure. But the magic evaporates on mid-palate and it’s once again confirmed in the finale with too much bitterness and lack of the same juiciness from the nose and the first touch. However, it delivered plenty of soulful drinking pleasure and once again a great wine.

(Tasted Aug-2006)

No comments: