Wednesday, May 28, 2008

2001 Le Macchiole, Paleo, Bolgheri, Tuscany, Italy

(100% CF)

Now Paleo is a 100% Cabernet Franc and will probably stay that way in future. I tasted the 2001 Paleo in December 2004 and was very impressed and stated “The best Paleo ever”. So I could hardly wait to taste it again. The wine has closed down and it’s hardly recognisable, but you still feel something great is in the glass. The nose has sweetness, minerals, liquorice, butter and coffee – but very distant and shy. Taste has maintained a sealed structure with powerful concentration with lots of young dry extract. Compared to some of the other Paleo’s this is “real” youthful tannins with purity, minerals and without any bitter components. I would love to say, cellar this wine for XX-years, but as my experience with 100% Cabernet Franc from Bolgheri is fairly limited (sort of obvious) it’s wild guessing for the right drinking window. I will add that I think it will surpass any other current Paleo lifespan. (93++)

Glass: Riedel Sommelier Bordeaux Grand Cru
Details: Paleo Vertical 1992-2002

Tue 31 Jan, 2006

No comments: