Wednesday, August 6, 2008

2003 Chateau Latour, Pauillac, Bordeaux, France

Sometimes you can have extremely high expectations about a wine and be let down if the wine is not performing they way the last bottle did. But without dramatising it too much, it can be an even bigger problem when you start the debate across the table from the top of the 100 point scale. This is a fantastic wine, let’s not forget that. For me, the best thing about is that it’s so well build and will probably outlive all of the five persons tasting it this night. The nose contains a huge scent of coffee beans, raw meat, herbs, bacon a lead pencil. The layers are really impressive, but I also sense a note of warmness – not that it’s any creating heaviness, but providing this freakish “raw” smell which I never fall in love with. It’s a classic sign from almost all of the 2003-wines I have tasted from France. In time I am certain the wine will come out of this, but as I have to judge now, I am not fond of this style. Back to Latour – the taste is solid – with a herd of tannins for long term lasting. I have read a few TNs on 2003-Latour and the overwhelming sweetness described, was not present in this bottle – so it might be shutting down. (96+)

Feb-2007

No comments: