Tuesday, December 23, 2008

2005 Diel, Cuvée Victor, Germany

(Glass; Zalto Burgundy)

The German Nahe producer Diel amazes me. His portfolio counts all your thinkable Riesling versions to a world class Pinot Noir wine called Caroline. I find the wines from Diel incredible charming with certain creaminess to them. Here in the glass is the Cuvée Victor which is made from Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris and Chardonnay. The wine is very funky and on the verge of becoming bizarre at some stages. It opens up with melon, flowers, smoke and again this creamy Diel-style, which here is expressed with melted butter. As it evolves in the glass, additional layers come along with hay, mild caramel and even dried apricot. The latter note almost gives the wine a dessert feeling and I don’t think I have ever smelled anything like it. Even though I have almost called it bizarre – I have to confess that I spend a lot of time with my nose in the glass and smiled somewhat of its unique character. Unfortunately the taste is not my cup of tea. It molds a lot in the mouth and burns too much alcohol on the finish line, with very low minerality and acidity. Speaking alcohol – after 2/3 of the bottle had been drunk I really felt the 14% of alcohol in my body – not a particular pleasant feeling and still have 1/3 left in the fridge.

22/12-2008

Picture will be uplaoded if I have the time.

No comments: