Sunday, July 11, 2010

NV Jacques Selosse, Rosé, Champagne

Blend: 80% Chardonnay / 20 % Pinot Noir
Dosage: Approx. 4.5 g/l
Disgorged: 2. February 2009
Glass: Spiegelau Adina “Red wine”

There is 4 or 5 tasting notes on Selosse Rosé on the site and I even had it a month ago, where it did good, but even so I could resist as I stopped by the fish market and bought some nice looking lobster tails.

You should think Selosse is “easy” – meaning, his Champagnes are often easy to pick out in blind tastings, with their oak influence lush fruit core and with a very pronounced oxidized style. To some degree this is true and the Rosé also burst out of the glass with massive sweet expressive notes of vanilla, toast, exotic spices, cherries and apricot. For my taste it’s too much about the oak – but it’s also one of those Champagnes where you are seduced to a degree, where you don’t care so much about Mr. Analytic. The taste is extremely awarding and the mousse broadens to every single spot on the palate….oh yes…seductive. You can then ask Mr. Analytic, where the hell are the mineral nerve, elegance and the acidity smack? Mr. Analytic doesn’t really care anymore – he is having a party with me. Glass 2 and 3 is even more seductive – the oxidized are on an expanding trip and the nose becomes even deeper with sweet cookie notes. But!!!...Then something strange happens…but I have seen it before haven’t I… with “Version Originale”. The wine firms up – the oxidized notes takes a step backward – the seductive-in-your-face-flavours turns saltier, the vinous side are on the rise and the bubbles becomes secondary and the Champagne even get’s something called acidity. This is fascinating and I now begin to understand why Anselme decants his Champagnes two hours before serving.

So conclusion – did I really like it? Well yes – I like it, but I need this Champagne in small dozes and I need to be in the right mood and maybe I just need to start decanting my Selosse Champagnes or at least take it slower.

No comments: