Tuesday, August 23, 2011

2010 Domaine des Vignes du Maynes “Cuvée 910”

Blend: Equal parts of Pinot Noir, Gamay and Chardonnay
Bonus: Biodynamic since 1997 - hardly any sulphur.
Glass: Zalto Burgundy

It’s not easy to find details about this wine, as the producers Internet site has very little information. However if my information’s are correct (provided by the importer) the name; “Cuvée 910” are a reference to the year 910. In the year of 910, Domaine des Vignes du Maynes belonged to the monastery at Cluny, which again was under the management of the Benedictine Order. In that same year the Duke of Aquitaine gave away the monastery to Abbed Bernon, who laid the foundation for the powerful and influential Cluny monastery. The monks living at Vignes du Mayne, harvested grapes and musts, which later were transported, to the monastery, where the wines were brought up.

The blend is of course closely chosen to show how they produced wine back at those days. It’s actually interesting to know how the wine is put together, as I had an idea (which is not necessarily correct) how the 3 grapes each provided their character. The presence of Chardonnay…(if again my analysis are correct)…actually puzzled me. It might have been designed to provided some tall and freshness – plus a vivid acidity, but actually I found something was diluting the wine and pinpointed the Chardonnay to be the troublemaker. However I was to learn that the wine was actually just in need of some air (just under one hour should open it up).

If to continuing the game of letting each grape speaking their voice - I found the Pinot provided sublime pure cherries, red currant and the Gamay playing along that violin with wild berries, moist forest and dried fruit. All together it’s an extremely subtle, pure and refined wine, which almost – when the Chardonnay tone has unfolded - goes into a floating stage. As I decanted it half way trough my tasting experience, the last drops was clearly the best and you almost begged for more.

Overall a very subtle, yet highly sophisticated red wine with immensely high and refreshing drinking pleasure.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a coincidence. I just bought a bottle of this wine today. Thanks for the history you provided.

Thomas said...

Hey Anonymous,

Yes thats a coincidence. Here in Denmark it's a very limited wine. But let us know what you think ;-).

Best from,
Thomas

Anonymous said...

Thomas,

I'm curious of what you refer to as "tallness" in a wine. Does it have to do with the aromatics or with taste and structure.

I've been really enjoying your site since I drink some of the same wines and share your passion for Champagne.

Keep up the good work and thanks for posting.

Best,

César

Thomas said...

Hi César,

When I use tallness as a descriptor it’s often linked to the way the acidity, minerality acts together with the fruit core and structure of the wine. It’s almost like an association to a person, which walks with a straight back with his, or hers head high. I will never use tallness if the acidity is flabby - impure/overripe fruit core and the wine is missing minerality.

Hope it helps….and should there be a more “official” definition for “tallness” I have no idea if my use of the term is anyway near “correct” ;-).

I am super glad you like the blog always makes me happy to readers appreciating my work….and please chime in to the Champagne notes if you have the time…I am always eager to hear from other passionate bubbly drinkers.

Cheers!!!

/T

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your answer and sorry for the late reply.

I think your "tallness" is related to what others call "tension" or "focus", that is the way acidity defines and highlights the good or bad elements of a wine.

I've had some interesting wines lately from Pierre Peters, Gatinois, Roger Coulon, Benoît Lahaye, Larmandier-Bernier and Jacquesson.

There are certainly a lot of producers doing very good work in Champagne. I'll be there in about a month and will visit Lahaye and Jacquesson, probably Peters and Vouette et Sorbe too. How did you contact Bouchard to arrange a visit? I'd love to se what he's up to.

I would also encourage you to try some of the sparkling wines from Vouvray and Montlouis. Chidaine, Pinon and of course Huet are making sparkling Chenin that is well worth searching for. I drink them very often because they're so affordable compared to Champagne.

Once again thanks for the blog.

César

Thomas said...

Hi César,

Forgive for having overlooked your reply and responding.

Wine descriptors are in reality a big mess. You (mis)use them differently and tallness are one of them. Tension and focus….yes in some way, as high tallness creates tension and focus. We all have different strips of films running across our senses when we taste wine. I often try to relate wine to situations, images or personality of a human being

My visit to Cédric Bouchard was organized through the importer in Denmark.

Vouette is very interesting producer – I love the Blanc d’Argile.

I will check out the other names – thank you.

Best from,
Thomas