Wednesday, October 19, 2011

2007 Jérôme Prévost “Fac-Simile rosé”


100% Pinot Meunier
Terroir: Sand and calcareous elements (source Champagneguide.net)
Dosage: 0 g/l
Method: Assemblage Production: 2.800 bottles
Other: The 2007 are the debut release of this Rosé
Glass: Spiegelau Adina “Red wine”

I just clicked back to my first TN on this wine in Dec-2009 where I wrote It’s also starting to show some darker fruits patterns, rising from a slightly oxidation. This makes me speculate, that within a relative short time frame, lets say 1½ years or so, this will be a completely different Champagne.” (You can see the complete TN from Dec-2009 here)

Let’s have a look and see if I was right or not?

If this bottle is representative, (Prévost has the tendency to show quite a bit of bottle variation) my predictions were correct. It’s quite evolved and the oxidation patters are fully alive. The oak also shines trough, with a lot of seductive appeal and sweet cookies tones, which adds to baseline of this oxidized style. Yet!!...I have to say the fruity notes started rather salty, with ravishing oozing perfumes of apricot, rhubarb and strawberry. If you take out the salty element – I couldn’t help to compare it a little bit with Anselme Selosse rosé (Jérôme is a former student of Selosse). With air the Champagne looses the salty elements and reveals highly appealing notes of caramel and orange blossoms. The latter notes might have damaged the intellectual and tallness of the Champagne, but I have to say its just such an outrageous good laidback drinking Champagne. The taste was all the way really awarding and with zero dosage, it never gets too much.

Good stuff and I would start drinking this Champagne from now +4 years.

2 comments:

Anders said...

I have a soft spot for Jérôme Prévost. But I have never tried his rosé. I will add it to my to-drink list right away.

Cheers,
Anders

Thomas said...

Hi Anders,

Try to find his 2008, it's spectacular and better than this 2007.

Best from,
Thomas